Be it the construction industry, electricity department or any other industry that deals with renovation and repairing works. The ladder is one tool that has got wide application areas. Despite being skilled and equipped with all of the know-how that the job requires, too many mishaps do happen while working with this ladder, and this calls for the need to understand the safety measures that reduces the risk of accidents during ladder works.
Types of ladders
Since their invention, ladders have come a long way through a journey that brought in many modifications, and the result is a wide range of ladders, all with designs and features to serve the respective purposes.
- Step ladders: These are self-supportive ladders that eliminate the risk of slipping that is often the case with the steps that need to be leaned against a support. Such ladders are at an advantage in works such as tree trimming where you may not get a stable support to lean against safely.
- Extension ladders: The instant image that your brain probably creates as soon as you hear the word “ladder” is the one with a base and a ‘fly’ that is adjustable. This is the extension ladder that has the widest application area including house renovation as well as construction works, wall constructions, fencing works and so on. However, it needs to be mentioned that a firm support to lean on is required.
- Platform ladders: As the name suggest, this kind of ladder has a platform following the top step. This type of ladder offers additional safety and comfort to the person standing on it. The top rail guard raises the safety factor while the broader platform to rest the foot-base on ensures long comfortable working hours. It also provides the liberty of working in any direction with both hands-free.
- Step stools: Be it laundry room, kitchen, store room or your living room, reaching those high shelves and cabinets is easy with the step stools. Some even come with a foldable feature.
- Adjustable ladders: Telescopic and folding ladders that can be slipped to achieve the desired dimensions and be folded up respectively fall into this category of convenient ladders that serve multiple functions.
- Multipurpose ladders: Ladders that offer liberty of changing shapes and confirmation from one form to another in order to serve more than one purpose fall under this category. You may open a multipurpose ladder and turn it into a step ladder climbable form or extend it to its maxima to reach the desired height. You may also close it so as to make it occupy minimum storage area when not in use.
Although the list to the diversity of ladders is endless, the basic design remains same with the add-ons from different manufacturers.
Once the appropriate ladder is chosen, the next step should be to take necessary precautions so that the possibility of accidents is ruled out. Performing a pre-check should be the first in the to-do list while doing the ladder work. Do not forget to:
- Ensure that the rails of your ladder are in the right shape and condition.
- Check if the feet of your ladder are fit to make a firm contact with the ground. They shouldn’t be rough, mudded, worn out or damaged in any way.
- Check the rungs and the locking mechanism that keeps all the components fixed in place. Also, look for the step ladder platform’s stability.
- And finally, inspect the soil or ground that you’ll be making your ladder stand on. The surface should not be polished enough to let the ladder slip easily or filled with so much of moveable materials such as brick pieces. It should be considerably even.
If defects are spotted in any of these, do not ignore else you may end up in slipping due to loose fittings or collapse of any of the components. The list doesn’t end here. This is just a pre-check that should be followed with some more safety precautions to be taken while working with the ladders.
While working with the ladder
- Do carry light tools and determine the holding capacity of the ladder with the help of the guide that comes along with the product. You should never overload the ladder or carry items with you while climbing up.
- If the electrical work is demanding ladder, always go for the non-conductive ladder and beware of the overhead wires and electric objects around you, if any.
- It’s not just the ladder that makes you fall, your footwear that is carrying mud or grease might be contributing in making you slip and fall down.
- If you are working with a straight ladder, make sure its top is sufficiently above the resting place so as to provide for the handrail.
- Maintain a good 1:4 setback to height ratio.
Ladder Suppliers in Brisbane
Now that you are all equipped with the necessary know-how and safety guide, you may look forward to buying one that serves your purpose well. When you browse and look up for the local suppliers in Brisbane, you may end up with a list of the companies that deal with ladder works.
Gorilla ladders, Ladders2go, LADaMax, The Vetners, OZ ladders and Gumtree are some of the top suppliers of ladders in Brisbane that offer quality services with provisions such as placement of an order online, prompt shipping, easy and secured payment options and warranty on products.
Do not forget to perform a background check on the company while opting to buy a ladder. Since the quality of the material used, durability and strength of the product are all that counts when doing ladder works be your best while inspection. Go with the ratings of the product as well as the manufacturer as it is a good indicator of the overall performance score.
And finally, it is always advisable to not to compromise on quality, if you are pouring money on something that has high usability and a history of causing mishaps. Your safety is important! Go for the highest grade and go through the product description as well safety precautions mentioned in the guide that comes along. Whatever construction needs you need to undertake in Melbourne, never forget that a ladder is as good as its supplier so choose the best by choosing a competent supplier.